Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Shout Out to My Girls

To my girlfriends (cousins included) thanks for being my friend and girl.

The older I get the more I realize that I am blessed to have girlfriends. If I want to shop at Target or any other store they'll be available and they'll look at the same things I'm looking at. We both say "uohou" at the same time over something really cute. They help me choose dishware, furniture, holiday cards, shoes (shoe shopping is much more fun with a girlfriend), razors, makeup, deodarant, underwear, and make knowlegable assessments when I want to buy a cute pair of underwear that I know won't fit. Anything that a girl at heart coo's over, we coo together.

If I feel wronged by a guy they are there to encourage me. They help pick me up and listen to me whine. They are available to go to the gym, dinner, movies, and just hang out.

If I'm having some strange physical occurence they will tell a story about themself or someone they know who had the same thing happen and the conclusion of that thing.

Ladies get a hard time sometimes and mostly by other women, but for me, my girlfriends have shared in some of the best experiences of my life. I've never been without them and I hope I always have them. When I reflect upon my most fun college days, they were events with the girls. Did someone say "to have a friend you have to be a friend" or did I make that up?

My girls are not trifling, they are not bitches, they are not jealous, they are not selfish and they accept me and love me even when I may portray some of those previously listed failings. They are there to give a hug and support, and emotions more useful then the logical advice a man always wants to provide.

Perhaps its from having a sister and lots of girl cousins but I've always preferred the company and conversation of my girls over the company and conversation of the guys. I trust that the things my girls tell me aren't from jealously nor because they are hating on me.

I'm realizing that I have developed strong female relationships. Although one of my oldest and best friends is a guy, (hopefully) soon he will get a wife and the terms of our friendship will have to change. I think it would be selfish of me to want things any other way. In fact it happened during his last serious relationship. But although we are great friends, its not as special and intimate as that between me and my girls. I don't need pretense with the ladies.

I'm looking forward to my bachleorette party, so the girls and I can have fun and be silly. But we will not have a stripper. Whoever is in on the planning, do not bring a stripper to my thang. Girls only.

Now that I have a great boyfriend, I'm even more grateful for the girls. When he sends me a poem, they will sigh with me, and when they see me smile when I talk to him, they are there to say "I like him" and make me remember to appreciate him all the more. Plus when he wants to hang out with the guys (as he did this weekend, when I wanted some of his time- yeah Mr. Man I'm talking about you) my girl/cousin Aaliyah talked to me on the phone, listened to me vent and helped me get my mind off my annoyance).

Can you beat having a true girlfriend?

No comments: