Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Friday, December 31, 2004

Need to Impress

Well a particular "friend" (I'll call her Ms. Chick) in my life has begun to show her true colors. She's always shown them but now she seems to have lost control of how to manage them. She acts so bougie. Notice I say act. I enjoy true bougie, but fake is awful. But I never hate on her, I allow her to be who and how she wants to be. She tries to portray a cultured image. But folks can cultivate the type of persona they want.

In law school, I wondered why she didn't get along with any of the other black people and years later I realized its because she is super competitive and has to be the most fabulous. My personality allows people to be as fabulous as they want. I even will encourage an ego. I'm happy with who I am, so why would I begrudge someone the joy of pretending to be who they want to be? Practice makes perfect and maybe one day she'll be that person. I'm realizing that these type of personalites are bred of insecurity.

Well Ms. Chick is getting on edge with me. I think she is trying to test my finances. But I won't let them be tested. I'll happily get out her mix. I know how much money I've got, I know how much I can spend and I feel no need to attempt to live beyond my means just to make someone think how I'm living is in my means.

Well for years Ms. Chick had been extolling to me the greatness of her boyfriend. I never doubted anything she told me. Why the heck would she need to lie, and especially to me. For the length of time I've known her, almost 9 years now, I've just now got a serious relationship. So why lie to the single girl? The fact that she had a man was more than I had, so why make up stories about his wealth, and business prowess.

Just this past year she lied to me about his office space. Yes ya'll something that trivial. The lie she told was 100% voluntary. I didn't ask her anything about her man. Liars are bad, but I think they are worse when they volunteer a lie. If you lie for protection, you can feign justification, but when you volunteer, folks know you lack somethings.

So today I found out this grand office space her boyfriend has is virtual office space. But this lie let me know that what the hairdresser said was correct. "Ms. Chick is trying to impress you, she is jealous, negative, not professional and your business will do better if she's not around." It's some other stuff going on too.

Ms. Chick always tells me how much she makes. I don't care, I can't spend her money. She has spent the year telling me she was going to buy a house because she made so much and needed the deduction. Well I happened to fall into a house that exceeds the purchase price she had set for herself. I think that upset her, because like I said, now she is trying to test my finances. I had to tell her my mortgage comes first.

So I'm moving on, saving some money and perhaps with the money I save I'll do something nice for myself. Ms. Chick has unknowingly done me a money saving, comfort giving favor.

2 comments:

Jez Chill said...

Is this where you find the true scoop on everyone, at the hair salon?

For most successful folks, image is everything. Especially lawyers & politicians. Looks like Ms. Chick is buiding that image in every facet of her life.

AMES said...

This hairdresser is one of the 1st I've felt an immediate connection with. For most of them I just go, get my hair done and leave. I really liked this girl. Hairdressers know your hair secrets, everything else is secondary.

Whatever image people want to potray is fine to me. Just don't torture me with the details. "Be about it, don't talk about it."