Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Spreading the Word

Many of my thoughts center around work. I'm self employed and doing my best to start a second venture that has been my dream for more than 10 years now.

So I've been spreading the word. At first I didn't want to share my dream (outisde of my family) because if it didn't work out I didn't want folks asking me what happened. But as I've began to share, most people want to help or be a part of it, or recommend me to someone that has some assistance to offer to me.

Well at a house party thrown by my mother this Sunday, I asked my aunt if she knew a woman who owns a very successful ad agency. I have been trying to find a connection to this lady for a couple of months. I've also been trying to find a connection to anyone in the advertising world.

Well I don't know if this ad lady is a Delta, (a couple years back our newspaper had an article about the deb ball her daughter was in and I knew it wasn't the AKA affair and I thought it was Delta) and since my aunt is a Delta and around her age I thought perhaps their paths may have crossed somewhere. My aunt didn't personally know her and couldn't provide me with a direct link to her.

So I was telling my brother the story about my search for this woman and how our aunt didn't know her. He posseses a photographic memory and recalled that the deb ball was put on by the Links, so the woman might not be a Delta. He also told me he knew the woman. She had contacted him regarding some business relating to the company he works for, told her she knew him and he assisted her.

He promised to send her an email with the request that she have a conversation with me about my business venture.

I'm super excited and realizing that in business spreading the word can sometimes be beneficial and spreading the word to the correct people is even better. I was asking the wrong people.

2 comments:

Mata Hari said...

Good Luck to you...I know how hard it is to break into Advertising (I got my B.S. in it) but I wish you much sucess and have shot up a prayer on your behalf!! Good Luck!

AMES said...

Mati Hari- thanks for the prayer and good wishes. Much appreciation