Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Holiday Weekend

I had a work thing on Friday out in Long Beach. It was my plan to go to Chic-Fil-A while on that side of the world but I forgot and just wanted to get home. Seems like bloggers are always mentioning that place.

I've gotten out of the practice of driving so the 30 minute trip and the traffic coming back to L.A. proper had me exhausted. Mr. A had some work stuff to do and then a h.s. basketball game but he came home and made dinner since he figured I'd be too tired to function.

I have much respect for those people who can drive to work, work a full day, drive back home and then cook or do household stuff. When I was in Oakland, I rarely worked a full day outside home and on those days that I did, I had my mother who had dinner prepared.

I spent Saturday at home and Mr. A went to his friend's house to watch a fight. We had planned to hit the L.A. County Museum that afternoon- it just finished being remodeled and looks very beautiful- but it seems like today is a free admission day, so I figured we'd wait. So that is our plan for today.

I've spent a few weeks lobbying for us to go to church at West Angeles. I'd been thinking about it, but that Bill Clinton incident set me on a path of change. Then I've been reading S30's post about her church and West Angeles is one that has lots and lots going on and lots to be involved with.

On Sunday, Mr. A was supposed to go with the ski club to help the kids learn to snowboard. They were going to Mount High, which is cool for a quick inexpensive excursion. Because it was a holiday weekend the lift ticket price was raised to $50 or $60. It's usually $40, because it really isn't much of a mountain. The better mountains are cheaper so he decided not to go. I totally supported that budget decision.

Because Mr. A had planned to go to the mountain I was going to go to West Angeles. When he decided not to go, the plan was still to go to West A. We did our pre-marital there and he loved it but he has been oppposed to going to there for church. I admit much of it is my fault. I had told him how "Hollywood" West A is. The church we attend is almost 20 miles away and West A is super close.

So Mr. A kept singing "One Night Only" to let me know he was giving the church one shot. I think Bishop Blake is great but it can feel like an award show sometimes. It's a great place to go when you don't live in L.A. But if you live here and see celebs at the grocery store, nursery, Roscoe Chicken and Waffle, then the excitement will fade.

So yesterday the church did a tribute to the officer who was killed in the line of duty last week. Then Bishop Blake announced that Judge Mathis was going to be our speaker. Yes, Judge Mathis. It was too late to go to the other church by that point. I mean maybe its not meant for us to move to West A for Sundady. Maybe we'll just be involved in the stuff there. I also prefer Bishop Jones messages so maybe we need to be stable.

So Judge Mathis just spoke. Mr. A said he thought he was doing a sort of stand up.
Then after that, Bishop Blake gave a shout out to Natalie Cole (who I see pretty often at Roscoe Chicken and Waffled on Pico and La Brea) and they put a pic of her on the big screen. She looked great.

A lot of celebs attend the church we go to but they are never put them on the big screen or given a shout out. They have to find a seat just like everyone else. Although there was that one time he called Keyshia Cole and Angie Stone out the audience and forced them to sing. But usually they treated like everyone else.

I wish L.A. and Oakland were closer so I could enjoy the best of both worlds without having to travel a long distance. But its probably for the best. If the Bay was close to L.A., there would be smog and then I'd have nowhere to go when I wanted to leave L.A. and enjoy air that has been cooled by the bay breeze.

3 comments:

BlackLiterature said...

Ok... just wondering

Do you like Pastor Bob(Acts) in Oakland? I like him a lot, but if I were still in Oakland, not sure that I would go there regularly.

I also thought West Angeles was way too LA for me.

AMES said...

The one time I went to Acts, Noel Jones spoke. That's how I discovered Bishop Jones.

My Oakland church is small and I prefer that, so I rarely visit other churches.

Serenity3-0 said...

That seems like a lot going on for a church service. I don't go to chruch to see celebs so I'd be very turned off. I go specifically to hear a good message. So yeah, Mr. is probably right in not budging.