Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Get What You Need

You cant always get what you want
You cant always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you might find
You get what you need

That part of the Rolling Stone song ocassionally reverbrates through my head. Maybe its due to that commercial.

I'm realizing that with regular frequency people don't get what they want while others don't appreciate having what someone else is praying to recieve.

Perhaps its similar to having great difficulty finding what you are looking for but once you stop looking you discover it right under your nose.

This is not a relationship post but my above thoughts make me think of Rachel, Leah and Jacob. Rachel had Jacob's love but was miserable because she wanted his child.
Leah had Jacob's children but was sad because she wanted his love.

Either sister could have been happy with what they were blessed with but both were too focused on what they lacked.

I remember meeting a guy with super long thick lashes and I discovered that he actuslly had to keep them cut. That's a problem I would have loved to have. My lashes are thick and certainly not short but my sister and most of my paternal cousins have longer and thicker so I can't flatter myself with what I've got. That's another issue- what you have might be good but when you know there is better to be had, sometimes you forget to be thankful or even notice its nice to have.

I want to be grateful and appreciate what I have and not allow my focus to be kept on things I want or who has it better. This post isn't about material items either.

This post is just about wants in general. Most of us want something (I say most cuz there is always that person who says "I have everything I could want.") Most of us see someone who takes for granted what we greatly desire.

Such is life- there is nothing to do but recognize and be grateful for our own blessings.

I'm not a subscriber to the "I complained about my lack of shoes, until I saw a man with no feet", school of thought. My gratefulness needs to stand alone, not ride on the back of someone with less. Isn't it heartless to feel better because someone has it worse than you? That's no better than feeling bad because someone has it better.

5 comments:

Miss Ali D said...

As if you wrote this for me today -words I definitely needed. And so true!

Anonymous said...

aaah c2a is back! great food for thought.

Serenity3-0 said...

I need to think about that while I sit and complain that I haven't bought new shoes in a month or so... However, I need you to complete that birth story..

Heart Drops said...

ok so you are still as deep and insightful as before. Welcome TR! Welcome back c2a!

BlackLiterature said...

Yes ma'am... Looking for the TR update. ;-)