Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Designing My Life



One day I was pondering how fortunate someone seemed. From the decor of her home to her professional accomplishments she just seems to be a success. I momentarily bemoaned the fact that that my life is not as neatly packaged as her life. Then I reminded myself that I'm in control of designing my life. I have my own talents that I'm fully capable of enhancing.

What happens in our lives for the most part isn't some fluke, its a matter of pursuit and being committed to being successful at what we are pursuing. Sometimes things happen but our response can have a greater impace than what actually occured.

Professional Design

I'm a procrastinator but I'm moving toward where I want to be. Last week I attended a professional meeting with people from various public and private agencies who have a part in the assisting ch children with special needs to access education. This panel is one of the resources I use to get my clients. A few people asked me if it was mandatory that I go. It wasn't mandatory but it made me realize that volunteering for professional enhancement is often seen as foreign. I think if you enjoy what you do, you look forward to that stuff. I sorta chuckled as I told them, no I just really want to get as familiar as I can with the details of what I do. I could continue getting clients and never attend a meeting.

I can build a business doing the minimum required but I want more than that. There is more to life and more to a career then going to a job to make money. I think careers offer a chance to stimulate and satisfy our mind. I enjoy what I do and there is nothing- except me-holding me back from doing it extremely well. The meeting was actually enjoyable. Then I think about The Wire and how that cop let the little boy down. I really don't want anyone relying on me and I not do my best for them.

I know what is possible for me and I'm excited to bring it to fruition.

Mr A and I are similiar in that while we want to obtain great financial resources, our primary focus isn't financial. We're trying to create a life where we can enjoy our professions, be stimulated and be of service to others.

I'm pleased that I realized during my moment of wistfulness that I'm in full control (with God's strength) of designing my life. Its all a matter of the effort I'm willing to put forth. Like everything my output is greatly deermined by my input.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoy what I do and there is nothing- except me-holding me back from doing it extremely well.

and that only is your power to reach the excellence.

excellence within yourself, brilliance within your own pursuit and reasonable ground.

I know you design well:) cos you enjoy designing' and that is what your reason is.