Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Hardwood Floors & HGTV

I have nothing against laminate flooring. I do dislike most multi-planned new build homes. I have something against presswood furniture.

I was watching HGTV and a cute family in NYC was disturbed because the designer stripped their hardwood floors, added a different gloss and the pattern of the wood wasn't uniform.

It might have just been me but I think I saw a little 'help me hold my muel' flash quickly upon the designers face. Maybe it was Genevieve. She explained to the wife that her home had real hardwood floors, and like real wood the patterns would never be identical. She told the wife that she was thinking of laminate flooring, which is made with the same pattern because it is manufactured. She informed her that real hardwood is more expensive. I think I saw a slice of pride run across the wife's face.

She also explained to her that you can strip real hardwood and change the color. Not so with the laminate.

Mr A has explained to me that most furniture is made of presswood these days because it is cheaper to ship. I adore real wood. I am disappointed by furniture that has wood face, but the back is that weird stuff that is hollow.

When I was looking for TR's crib, I realized that much of the stuff at stores like Babies R Us and Baby Depot was the stuff with a wood face and presswood body. I know babies have made it but if you shake it, it just rattles. I spent quite a while investigating cribs and realized I had to go to the boutique shops to get real furniture. I ended up getting a round crib which I love.

This is why Mr A and I need to be rich. When I consider a home purchase, I consider items like furniture. I don't think it all needs to happen immediately but I can't afford the house if I can't afford the matching furniture.

I can't fathom spending hundreds of thousands on a home and then furnishing it with furniture that arrives flat in a box and that has to be to put together. I want heavy stuff, real wood, stuff that complements the character of the architecture.

I'd feel cheated paying for laminate flooring that was advertised as hardwood. If this lady on HGTV didn't know the difference I wonder if others don't either. Even our apt has real hardwood floors, so I wouldn't want less in the spot I'm carrying total burden for.

I need a older home or I need to have enough cash to build my own.

I guess what I wonder is do people not expect real wood, do they not care, or do they not know. It seems to me the cost for a lot of the fake stuff is not much lower than the real stuff, so it seems like people don't know.

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I am laughing that the mother was disturbed that the pattern of the wood wasn't uniform. I have real hardwood floors and love them. Laminate is not my favorite thing, but some folks love it.

I once went with a friend to visit a family who owned the MOST BEAUTIFUL HOUSE. They had a circular driveway, gorgeous kitchen, nice carpet, and it was huge. Unfortunately they had ugly furniture that you would see discarded on the curb. I couldn't have a nice, big house with cheesy furniture. I would get a smaller house with decent furniture.

Not so Anonymous said...

I know the difference, but I actually like both. They both beat carpet. I actually abhor carpet...yuck.

Serenity3-0 said...

I would like to get real wood floors installed. I don't want laminate either. I don't know why but anytime I see laminate floors, it never looks just right to me. I want a dark wood also and I want to be able to see the imperfections. That's why I was so determined in my search for a dining room table. I didn't want just anything. I wanted something that was going to last almost forever.

Anonymous said...

I could tell your table was the real stuff.

My great uncle made a wood table when he was a teenager. That table is probably 70 years old and holding strong and resides at my brother's home.