Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Things and Other things

Book Club

I followed the advice of S-30 for organizing a book club and we will have our first meeting next month. I'm super excited. Mr A and I spent our weekend vineyard hopping in wine country and I picked up a Muscat to serve at the book club. I don't really drink wine but Muscat is a desert wine and its very tasty. Hopefully the group will enjoy it. I also learned to pronounce Gewurztraminer and say the nickname. The vintner said people often call it Ger-vert.

Mommy friends

Last week, the A family went to the park and I saw a cute little girl in pink and green. We don't usually see black mommies and babies at the park, so I was excited. Its usually only TR and one babygirl that comes with her nanny. When I saw this baby dressed in pink and green, and her mommy dressed like she cared, I was excited. It's very easy to turn into the SAHM who looks like a SAHM. I struggle with this myself. I was moving slow talking to the woman and Mr A knowing I look for such mommies, sorta got to the point of it. He said he'd been ready to leave the park long before that but was giving us the opportunity to chat. Anyway I got her contact info and invited her to the book club. This mommy recently moved to our neighborhood. Her hubby's job transferred him to L.A. She's actually from the Bay and my age so we have friends in common.

Mr A said if that had been a man, and they discovered a common interest they would have exchanged contact info in a few moments. I guess this is why our cookouts are well attended by the neighborhood men. The men aren't slow about befriending each other.

Anniversary

MLK holiday weekend marks the 5 year anniversary of Mr A and I meeting. I liked his character and strength when I first met him. I knew he was worthy of my trust. My first impressions were right on, only he turned out better for me and to me than I could know. At 2 1/2 years of marriage, we've only just begun. We're still newlyweds. I look forward to spending my eternity with him. I enjoy and love him even when he gets on my nerves.

I thinks its pretty cool that I can look and mark the events that have directed my life, my life with Mr A and leading to TR. Meeting Mr A changed my world. A spur of the moment ski trip to Tahoe changed my life for the good.

I think our paths were destined to cross. We kept just missing each other. It was just a matter of timing. We met at a time that was right for the both of us. We didn't have to make the time right, it was right.

6 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

Yeah on the bookclub. What are you guys reading? I'm glad you met a friend. PS. Even though I'm a diva, when I have a little girl, she MIGHT get to wear pink... LOL

Anonymous said...

LOL. I had planned to limit the pink TR wears but people keep giving her pink outfits.

We are reading an Alice Walker novel.

Catherine said...

Let the girl wear pink!! Most everything I wore until the age of 5 was pink and I turned out okay;)

Do you talk about how you and Mr. A met in your archives?

My friend lives walking distance from the Grove in LA and she was talking about how hard it is to meet young, black mothers in LA. Her son goes to school with the child/children of the black woman from the show the Practice, but my friend says it is impossible to befriend show biz people. Glad you met a potential friend. Cannot wait to hear about book club:)

Anonymous said...

Once TR starts making decisions on her own I think she's going to start wearing blue. Or purple. :-)

Anonymous said...

Catherine, My archives are mosrly about me and Mr A. I love rereading them. I've been wanting to repost some and now I will.

I love the area by the Grove. If it wasn't 1.5 million for a 3 bedroom we might have lived there.

Most show biz people I know work behind the scenes and they all work enormous hours. I don't think their busy lifestyle allows for friends.

HD, our neighbor wears purple EVERY single day. Seeing that made me reflect upon my own green wardrobe. She got TR a bunch of purple outfits. Purple will never be the new black.

Shopgirl said...

I was reading your California dreaming....We may have some shared history. My Grandfather was a share cropper just outside Earlimart...Delano was up the road and then Bakersfield....He had 40 ac of Cotten.
California girl living in Idaho