Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Not that type of mother

I had assured myself that I would not become the mother that thought I had to send my child to private school or move around the world trying to get into certain school districts.

If my grandmother could receive a good education in a one-room school house in Oklahoma, with 8 grades, than what's up that my kids could not learn in a classroom with 20 kids. My grandmother was able to help my brother do high school alegebra, she had excellent handwriting, spoke great English and wrote it well. She knew history, geography and had a breadth of knowledge of many disciplines.

I don't know the answer to that but I have been investigating schools and its causing me a bit of stress. I feel like I should have started looking years ago.

There is an all girl school that we are going to check out. My cousin went there and I'm still amazed by the wonderful exposure she had. The school is currently about $30k a year, plus activity fees, etc. I'm sure by the time TR gets to 7th grade it will be more. We could end up spending upwards of $200k to educate one child. Can you see why I am stressed? I want to be able to offer such an opportunity to all my kids and I want quite a few kids.

Mr A is a veteran, so like me TR can go to college free unless the fed'l gov't goes broke or something. I think free college gives us a little leeway in funding a pricey primary education.

I need to figure out how I turned into that mother. I'll probably call my mother and ask her opinion. The other reason I don't want to be that mother is because al the children of those type of parents seem to graduate high school and not live up to the grand potential the parents seemed to think they possessed.

I want to be the "do your best" type of parent. I want to encourage my kids to reach their personal potential. I want them to feel education is about gaining a personal benefit.

My other option is to find or build a home school network. My cousin told me about how some parents are getting together hiring skilled teachers and developing programs that provide great exposure to the kids.

I'm opposed to how schools now teach to tests. There is so much missing from education these days because districts and schools are punished when curriculum isn't tailored to the test. I'd be a bored kid if I had to spend a school day doing nothing but math and reading/writing.

I hope this makes sense. I don't feel like rereading.

2 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

You could do what I do. Which is allow Tyler to go to public school with his neighborhood peers and just educate TR at home. He just asked me yesterday about learning chinese. I haven't the foggiest idea how to make that happen, but I will.

Anonymous said...

I do think education is the parents responsibility since we are the first teachers and enforcers. I plan to do a lot to expose my kids to different things.

I see school like church. Sure I can read my bible at home or watch on t.v. but there is enrichment in being around like-minded people with similar goals.

It's not so much about the education because I could probably home school them myself. I want the experience and exposure. I want an environment where involved parents and inquisitive kids who find value in learning are the norm.

Plus I used to get verbally attacked in jr. high because we didn't ride the bus and took vacations every year. I had siblings at school and might have had to fight were it not for that. Most of the other kids in my neighborhood transferred schools and some just tried to fit in. I don't want my kids trying to fit in with foolishness.