Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

So Muuuuuch

I've been quite busy, so busy that its too much to blog about. I've been enjoying myself.

I don't practice criminal law but- as a favor or at annoying levels of arm twisting- I'll be Johnetta Cochran. I explain that the odds might be better with a public defender over me - a civil attorney. I think if folks want to commit crimes they need to keep a legal defense fund.

I won my first criminal trial which was also my first jury trial 2 years ago. A few of the jurors were crying and most came to hug and congratulate my client afterwards. I'm pretty good with the spoken word- if I must say so myself.

This most recent criminal matter was dismissed. I've advised the client that I'm done. Any more criminal matters will be handled without my assistance. Hopefully he'll pay me the remainder of my money and stay out of trouble.

Hopefully people will stay out of trouble so I can focus on the work I enjoy, representing the kiddies. Having folks freedom attached to my work is not fun.

TR spent much of the week with my mom. I was working so hard I barely got to hold her. I think I prefer a week or two of a hectic work schedule and a few months of down time. The up time gets my blood pumping and I enjoy the fruits during the down times.

On Saturday my chapter went to see The Familly that Preys and then to lunch. We skipped the movie and did lunch. It was so much fun. Sisterly activities is major highlight of sorority involvement. I keep missing events put on here in L.A. but one day, I'll make one.

On Friday my mom, TR and I went to Stockton (about 80 miles from Oakland) for a funeral. Prior to the service we went to breakfast. At the restaurant, I discovered where many of the working class Oakland blacks had gone. It was amazing. Black people are so mobile. I don't know if that's always a good thing, since a lot of the migration is to locate a cheaper cost of living.

Stockton is also an area with an extremely high rate of foreclosure. Even though people moved there for cheaper living, it apparently wasn't cheap enough. It must be awful to lose a home in the middle of what used to be orchards and pastures. Farmland had to die so cheap -and now empty- mcmansions could be built. Now we all have to pay more for produce because it has to be transported further.

I wonder where the people who have to move, move to? I also wonder if black people are the biggest victims of this? We always get in at the end of pyramid schemes. I know that the areas in CA with the highest foreclosures, such as Stockton and Riverside County are also the areas where the black people were moving to.

No comments: