Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Interfering Wife

I was awake around 4 a.m. because my brother called me. I was awake again at 5:30 a.m because my mother called me, but I didn't make it out of bed until 8. Who can get up early when folks won't let you sleep? Mr A was gone by 5:45 a.m. This early people amaze me.

I have already gotten work done, played with and bathed TR, fed her a strawberry from this great Munckin contraption and now I'm wasting time online.

Years ago my great-uncle had a construction business. He had a contract with the state to build silence walls (I don't know the official names) on the freeway. This was a huge contract. My uncle didn't have any children of his own but he had 2 step-daughters that he basically raised. He took excellent care of their mother, paid for the house they lived in and did them well. He paid for their college, weddings etc. These daughters are my mothers first cousins.

My great-uncle hired his son-in-laws. My great-aunt suggested they not work for him but they did. He was a 6'4, slim, big hat wearing and booming voiced southern man. He was straight-forward and if you weren't of a certain personality than you might be offended by some of what he said. He and my grandfather were great friends and as a child I recognized his great heart. I also appreciated how he and my grandfather would get together and try to out do each other.

My great-uncle would give my brother a $20 and my gramps would give me $50. This would go on until my brother and I would have a $100. We were only in elementary, jr. high and that was a lot of money around the holidays.

One holiday, perhaps memorial day, he and his crew had to work. His son-in-laws got to the job, worked part of the morning and informed him that they were taking off early. Uncle told them they could not. They got uppity and told him they wanted to spend the day with their wives (who had been calling them every 20 minutes) and bar-b-cue. He told them they of everyone, had to stay because if he let them leave, the other men would be upset by the favoritism. He also told them if they stayed and worked together then everyone could go home earlier and be with their family.

The two son-in-laws told him they were out and to watch as they left. Uncle fired them.

The fall out was tremendous. The daughters were so upset and createde so much confusion that my uncle and aunt were seperated within a month. My uncle gave her the divorce and let her keep all the stuff they'd acquired over 30 years. My uncle passed some years ago and my aunt has been living with her daughter for nearly 15 years now. My uncle was from a well-to-do family, so she lost out on that inheritance.

My uncle having no one to leave his business to, eventually dissolved it. The plan had been to leave it to the sorry son-in-laws. They probably weren't qualified to take it over and they
certainly lacked work ethic.

They eventually found other jobs, none that paid as much and none that were as easy on them.
I remember them having to work holidays and my grandmother pointing out that they hadn't told the boss they were refusing to work to be with their family.

I often recount that story and reflect on how terribly foolish my cousins were. I reflect on what was and what might have been had people not had less respect for a job because it was family owned.

It's good to have family businesses. Your children can pursue their dreams and if things don't work out, or while they are in pursuit they can work in your business or a relatives business and you don't have to give them parental handouts.

No comments: