Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Monday, July 28, 2008

FAME

My high school was a performing arts magnet. It was also one of the best in the Bay Area for athletics. I lived in the area and that was my talent.

From my 3 years of high school I can look and see many of my classmates followed their dreams. I turn on my t.v. or radio and hear folks I know or recognize. I was very pleased to see Ledisi get a grammy nomination. She was a senior when I was a sophomore and I always hoped she'd be recognized for her talent. I'm so glad she preservered. The world deserves to hear her voice.

When gospel choir would travel to do performances, we'd always request that she sing For The Good of Them. I thought kids needed to be blessed with her voice. She didn't sing to showcase her vocal chords, it was from the heart.

I'd be in choir singing my teenage heart out and near tears, in fact most of the choir would be in tears when she was done. Her voice was so sincere, so powerful, so amazing. She was so tired of singing that song but we'd always request it.

It's amazing how long it can take real talent to receive recognition and a true gift to gain acceptance. I think its a must to have the drive to continue when obstacles present themselves.
The folks who seem to get 'it' easy, aren't always the best, they aren't even the most driven or worthy. Sometimes depending on what the 'it' is, they were the ones willing to compromise first. They were the ones willing to sell, give away or barter whatever they needed to get 'it'. They were the ones willing to float instead of rise to their personal best. They aren't the ones who gain longevity.

I had other classmates, who got record deals and would miss days in class due to touring. Those careers evaporated pretty quickly. Then they found themselves entangled with labels and not even owning their name.

It may have taken my scholmate a while to get her foot in the door but I noticed her voice has grown and I recently read an article and it appears she has grown as an individual and gained an ability to master the business and maintain her musical and personal integrity. Sometimes the wait is a blessing. Sometimes the wait might be the thing you need to test your commitment to your goal. If you let it go, did you really want 'it'?

No comments: