Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Friday, November 07, 2008

Government Lunch

Years ago, during my masters program, I would sit and have lunch at a mini-park in the midst of San Francisco's financial district. I'd imagine my future life, work on my book (I've been writing a book forever) think of goals, and dream of working in one of those tall buildings that surrounded the park. I envisioned myself leaving my office and having lunch in the park.

I had noticed that not many people utilized that park. It was the only open space smack in the middle of the financial district, but I didn't pay much attention to its emptiness. Not long after my planning, I was offered a job right there. As I exited Bart or got off the bus each day, it would occur to me that I was right where I had envisioned myself.

I was telling Mr A this story and telling him that although I was working in a building by the park, I never had time to actually sit and eat lunch there. He pointed out that the park was likely empty because the people in the surrounding buildings were busy working and didn't have time to hang out in the park for lunch.

Another example of longing for the grass that is greener on the other side but failing to consider how costly the water bill might be.

Note: This post is titled government lunch because I'm convinced the government is the only sector where working people have time to lunch and where folks will take lunch no matter their workload. I worked for the gov't one summer and the non management workload isn't even comparable to private industry.

3 comments:

Icey said...

I always say that, the grass may seem greener on the other side but you still have to maintain it!!

Virtuous said...

Enjoy your blog! Just found you via Fergie :o)

Anonymous said...

"the non management workload isn't even comparable to private industry."

You ain't never lied. I once contracted for the Fed and couldn't BELIEVE that even top mgmt left the office no later than 5 no matter what.