Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Monday, November 10, 2008

Toot Toot!!

Picture me air pulling the chain to blow the whistle of my own horn.

Mr A and I are such a good team, business and otherwise.

I think it was in late 2007 that we did work with a start-up company. As many start-ups do, the business started up prior to spending the funds on professional planning. Problems began after leases were signed and facilities were furnished. Mr A and I came along and helped resolve things and create the operating agreement. Part of the reason we are a fab team is because our backgrounds complement each other. I was able to tell him the legal aspects, he told me the business needs and we created various scenarios to benefit the business and give the client choice. It wasn't just a pretty document, it is a real and useful document.

That operating agreement took forever because the business relationship of the partners was on the decline. It had to include prior issues that existed and how to handle them. There were also 4 partners, I told them 4 people would be sure to present future tie-vote problems. We tried to develop a method to deal with that but of course they couldn't agree. We managed to create a cute model to break the ties.

Recently one of the partners called us to come back. HMMMMM...... they hadn't put us on monthly retainer. Mr A was kind enough to give them our retainer pricing.

I reviewed the operating agreements and realized just how fabulous we are. We covered potential issues very thoroughly and once we were apprised of the problems we were able to pinpoint exactly how the agreement would control.

Mr A wrote a super long letter, identifying all 4 partners failures. He also told them what they needed to do to make their business work. That letter was tough and true. They partners were upset with that letter. Mr A then went to a board meeting. I did not go, a lawyer would only make things deterioate because that's what lawyers even in their silence tend to bring. Folks start feeling attacked and other folks start feeling like they've got back-up. Mr A is sorta the forensic business person. He can go in, evaluate and develop methods to make the business work. Folks can get upset but he's mathematical about it, they can say why its true or not but his delivery helps remove the emotion and focus on the needs of the business.

Mr A went to the meeting, told them what they needed to do and the next thing I hear the partners have followed his instructions. They are now doing what they need to do and business is doing what it needs to do to be successful.

I'm so proud of us. We are quite fab. Mr A is especially fab because he does the real work and still says `our' business. I haven't done much work for over a year. I do handle contracts and such when necessary.

Going into business with other people can be challenging, which is why folks need to set out agreements whilst on friendly terms.

1 comment:

Not so Anonymous said...

Yay!! I'll help you toot your horn! I love the partnership :)