Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Live and Let Die- an ode to old wives

I get a lot of folks who come to my blog via a search on 'old mammas.' When I was a kid my grandmother and mother informed me that folks who have their first baby when old are generally overprotective and act as if their baby will break. They can sometimes act as if they are the first woman in the universe to have a child.

My aunt is raising her grandchild because her daughter passed said, you can tell the difference because the young mothers take their babies into the world earlier.

This post is about women who wed when old. I was also an older bride. Old brides can be the worst. A proposal and 4 days of marriage can often make them believe they are a relationship expert. If you ask them why if they know so much they were single so long- after they curse you out they will explain they had not met one they were compatible with.

Yet in the breath before that, they tell other women they are single because they are broken, don't know how to recoginze, get or keep a good man.

Get it? They were old brides because they were choosy, but you are single because you aren't
fab and well-adjusted like they are. Either way you lose they win.

Then some old brides will beat the word and variations of the word husband bloody. They forget you knew their hubby name before he was husband. He lost it, because she needs her M.R.S. to be acknowledged.

That's as dumb as me calling myself doctor 'cause I have a doctorate, if someone needs medical attention, my title means 0 to them. Just like folks M.R.S. means 0 to anyone other than their mate.

What the hades I care about someone's opinion on marriage? I don't own any stock in the general institution. I don't need others to desire it to validate me. Heck they'll probably be more same sex marriages in CA than opposite. I'm not offended by how folks choose to configure their stuff. How am I personally affected if people think marriage is .......... whatever they think it is. It's all ego.

Antyway, these are just my random observations. I try not to be that annoying know it all and let folks live and let my opinion (cuz everyone has one) die. I'm about to make lunch for me and my husband( pronounced huz-band, please elongate the z)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it!!

Especially this part "They were old brides because they were choosy, but you are single because you aren't fab and well-adjusted like they are. Either way you lose they win."

Heart Drops said...

I'm about to make lunch for me and my husband( pronounced huz-band, please elongate the z) - *DEAD*
ROTFLOL! See, because I've met you, I actually picture you saying these things!
I agree with you 100%. each person is different, and how they handle singlehood and marriage will also differ.

Anonymous said...

word.

i don't know who's worse - perpetually single people who are always philosophising about how relationships 'should' be; or people who've been married for 5 minutes and now think they have the key to the city.

yeah, okay.