Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Recovering Financially & the Weekend

I made the choice to relax while Mr. A handled our financial situation.
I did say a little prayer and we have both learned lessons.

The head coach where Mr. A coaches put Mr A on the payroll last summer but we never received anything. Apparently God knew the best time to release it to us and allowed it to be delayed for this time. We're back on track and will be re-instituting our budget meetings. I'm sure Mr A will be tortured by the detail which I intend to share but if we are going to continue doing this joint finance thing he needs to be more involved. Mr A had also contacted one of his clients that owed him and was able to get a check from them. My brother paid him for some help he gave him when we were in Oakland last week and help he'll be providing on Monday.

I also made a little money. We should be able to rebuild our cushion during March and go into April in comfort. I have a couple of cases that should settle soon, as well as other paid work. I'm trying to build a huge maternity leave cushion. Mr A's contract with the city should be paying before TR arrives.

I don't have any spectacular advice on recovering financially. Keep the faith, don't give up, expect things will work out and move as if you know things will work out. The fact is many businesses have financial setbacks. Ours was self-induced but crumbling, giving up or borrowing in difficult times isn't a solution. We're adjusting our strategy.


THE WEEKEND

I can't remember Friday. I think I did some work and we went somewhere. We had a prenatal visit. All is well. I did discover that Mr A doesn't like the idea of me driving while preggers. The nurse tried to schedule an appt to do a TB screen but she tried to schedule it on a day Mr. A will be out of town. He declined that date. I told him I could get myself to the doctor and discovered that he prefers that I not drive. He seems to think if I got a pain I might wreck. I guess I have over done my screaming and moaning- the pains and aches have never been that bad.

Saturday Mr A and a couple of his friends took an at risk group of boys skiing. One of the kids was a gang banger with an ankle bracelet. Mr A said on the drive up that boy was talking like a hardened adult and had so much fun on the trip that he dropped the hard image and turned into an excited kid on the drive back.

Mr. A was able to go free. His friend had gotten a grant to fund the trip and since Mr A owns his board and boots he didn't incur any expense. He even packed a lunch for the trip. My sweetums is trying to be frugal.

That was the first time any of the kids had been skiing/boarding and they were able to get lessons so they had lots of fun and were ecposed to something different.

On Saturday, I attempted to go to the bank but the lines were too long, so I just browsed CVS and went home to rest.

We went to West Angeles again. We got there late. It's amazing that we can be timely to the church 20 miles away butt be late to the one just a few miles away. We arrived mid-message and Mr A told me this was strike 2- he wasn't feeling the message. He likes Noel Jones better and I do to, he inspires me to take notes and I remember the stuff he says. This may be a battle of flesh v. spirit because my spirit likes the word Bishop Jones brings but my flesh wants the environment of West A.


After church we went to the Farmer's Market in Larchmont for veggies and then the Farmer's Market by the Grove for meat. It was a lovely day to be outside. Then we headed to a taping of the Michael Baisden show. We took another couple but they left before the taping began. They were supposed to come home with us for dinner but didn't have the patience to wait. They had nothing else to do and just hung out in Hollywood. They were trying to stay in our neighborhood so they could come for dinner but we stayed at the taping longer than they expected.

The show was lots of fun. Mr A and I got there on time and were first in line. They had us sit in a tent while we waited to enter the taping. We ended up at the back of the line because the other folks stood outside so when it was time to line up they were already there.

As we stood in line, I had to go to the bathroom. When I got out everyone was inside the studio except for Mr. A who was standing there waiting for me. They had told him he could go in but he didn't. As we stood there one of the folks said they needed two people and we were two people so we got to sit front row center stage.

Emily King who I love performed my fav song from her album- You and I. Angie Stone also performed a bit later. She was great and she sang her way off the stage. The Baisden show has a hillarious warm up guy. 90% of everyone working there was young and black, they even had two black camera men and that was great to see.

The cost of living L.A. may be high but with so much free and cheap entertainment in close proximity, you can enjoy the recreation without feeling pinched. And this is a better area to be in if you have to gather up money quickly. There are lots of legal and moral ways to make money here.

No comments: