Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Sleepy Heads

I'm usually up (not during the cold dark days) before 6:30 a.m. The sun shines through our window, the birds chirp and I get up to enjoy my work day.

Today I didn't wake up until nearly 8 a.m. Mr. A was up but he has gone back to sleep. I usually wake up and ask him if he's awake. That bugs him, but I love pillow talk. He prefers to finish sleeping. If I don't get up before 7, chances are my day will be spent in bed. I have to get up and get going.

Saturday we got up pretty early and cleaned, had breakfast and then Amber came over. We hung around the house for a bit and hit The Grove. When Mr. A and I go we tend to have a specific purpose, there isn't a lot of browsing. When my brother goes with me its usually to eat, when I go by myself I usually am directed and don't spend lots of time there.

When we arrived I made an appointment with the Mac Genuis which was scheduled for 4:15. The Grove has a concierge so I left my laptops with them as we browsed. That mall makes you feel like you are at a hotel.

Amber and I browsed and took the trolley from the Farmer's Market back to Midtown (middle of the outdoor mall). We went into American Girl Place and that experience was a whole lot. This is the only store California has and its such a disgusting display of waste. You can get your dolls hair done water misted, detangled and braided for $20. You could buy rollers for your doll for $22 and outfits for your little girl that matches what her dolls wears. They had a little book with recipes to make doll sized edible treats.

Amber had never heard of the store but for some reason I got a magazine some years ago and read about it in NYT and I've been wanting to have tea there since then.

When I got home I told Mr. A we must have at least one girl so I can take her there and participate in that disgusting display of waste. I saw one attractive young black woman about my age buying her little girl things. By the time my little girl is that old, I'll be pushing 40. Oh well, such is life.

Amber and I had snacks and enjoyed the day. At some point her guy called and told her we should try to get to the beach by 5 so we could catch the sunset. That meant my dear macs would have to defer their technical support. I picked them up from concierge, while she got the car from Valet (we were running late and tried to multi-task) and we headed out.

We stopped in Larchmont for pizza (my treat), which Amber loved and then went home. So we wasted quite a bit of time there and as we were leaving the garage with the beach chairs, they called and said the beach was full and to stay where we were. I was really looking forward to the bonfire. We'd gotten white peach bellini, the guys had gotten club soda, we had books, magazines and were ready.

So the guys came home, Mr. A made a cake, we drank the white peach and club soda, it was great and by the time they left, we fell into bed and to sleep.

Sunday was a full day unto itself which I will blog about later. It was really interesting. We're still in recuperating from burning the candle at both ends.

We didn't go to Crustaceans and I no longer have a taste for the garlic noodles. I am interested in going out though, so we may go just to enjoy the lovely environment and 1/2 price tapas.

I'll also have to blog about Amber calling us dual income. I gasped- never that! I guess if you follow the standard meaning- two people earning- we qualify but our life is so much different than what I envision a typical dual income couple to be. I'll be blogging about that conversation and my attempt to explain to her why we don't really fit the dual income model.

4 comments:

African girl, American world said...

Brandy used to talk about those garlic noodles back when she was on MTV pregnant and I've always said when I come to LA, I want to taste them.

AMES said...

I remember that. I'm a Brandy fan. Crusteceans is fairly new to L.A., they started in San Francisco. The first time I ate at the L.A. restaurant, I discovered the noodles were the only thing on the menu that tasted like the S.F. restaurant.

My cousin informed me that Ms. Ann- the owner- moved to L.A to show them how to do it. I started going back when I heard that. That woman has magic in her fingers. The food is addictive.

African girl, American world said...

me, you and TR have to go when I come :)

AMES said...

It's a date.