Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Dang Budget

I awoke this morning with garlic noodles on my mind. I pulled up the menu for Crustaceans and saw that garlic noodles are now on the menu, priced at $11.50. They used to be $9.50. I used to go there once a week for the noodles and felt that at under $10 before tax the price was reasonable. Those noodles are amazing.

So I calculated that we could go for lunch and get noodles and tapas and be under $30. I've got Mr. A on board with our budget and here I am eating into it. My settlements come from the gov't so they usually take 60 days, but Mr. A's clients pay up front and his newest one paid him on Friday and someone else paid him and I'm doing someone's taxes sooooooooo......... heck I'll admit it, clothes, purses, shoes, fancy cars, things other people can look at aren't where I have my budget dilemnas.

Salt and Pepper Calamari from LeCheval, Garlic Noodles from Crustaceans, casual sidewalk brunches, Ethiopian, Indian or Japanese for lunch, impromptu dinners (never at chains), breakfast at the many family owned diners, a cannister of tea for $15, cute little shops with interesting journals, pretty jars of exotic sounding olive oil (gifts) that's where I get weak.

I called Crustaceans to see what time they open for lunch. It was 8 a.m so they were closed but the message said "Lucky Hour" is 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday, with 1/2 price tapas. Garlic noodles would still be $11.50. I told Mr A and he said "do you want to go Monday, it would be better for our budget?" I could have said no, I want noodles today but I'm the one who has been promoting a real budget so I will support our plan.

So I kept looking at the menu and said "since the tapas are 1/2 off we can have more." This is why 1/2 off probably makes money for businesses. Instead of buying the same amount you would have, you think its a deal and buy more and maybe more.

So the gf of one of Mr. A's friends just called and she and I are going to hang out today. Mr A is pleased because now he won't have to be tortured as I window shop at the Grove. I got a new mac laptop and can't get the thing to turn on. So I'll take my new one and my old one and see if they can offer help to my babies.

Then we're going to the beach for a bonfire. We're taking a blanket this time.

The day should not be a budget buster. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

2 comments:

Heart Drops said...

have fun!

Serenity3-0 said...

So how did the day go? I bet you got those garlic noodles anyway.