Life is to be lived with purpose. Fulfillment of that purpose requires strategy. The strategy I'm using is an Art. The Art of War.

Monday, March 10, 2008

For the Love of the Kids

Sunday Mr. A and I went to the 8 a.m. service at West Angeles. There was a guest speaker. The church has now earned its 3rd strike. I wanted to go to our usual church but we had plans wayout in Orange County later in the day so we didn't want to drive to the East Side back to the West Side and then back again.

After church we hit the Larchmont Farmer's Market, got our fruits and veggies, came home for chili cheese hot dogs and headed to the Grove to take my laptops to the mac store. I had an appointment for 12 noon.

So my laptop repair will only be $327. The other mac is going back.

We were scheduled to meet Mr A's other best friend at his house at 1 so we could drive out to O.C. It might even be in Riverside. His friend's sister and her husband were having a bbq at their house. The sister had a baby Jan. 19, 2008 and has a 7 year old and a 2 year old and I was shocked that she'd be hosting so quickly. I guess with this being their 3rd child, she has it on lock. The girl and her husband are just 28 and I'm always envious of the folks that get married and have their families young. It's so cute. They have a nice big house out there and its lovely to see. She also works for her father, the guy who owns all the franchises and real estate- so I'm sure that helps.

After they diagnosed my laptops I got Mr. A to go to American Girl Place with me. He did not want to do it. I had told him there were 0 men on Saturday -except for the one running the movie theater- and he thought it should stay that way. But I explained that I wanted him to see what I thought was so amazing and since he's the person closest to me, its most important that he have an idea what I'm speaking of. Mr. A had wanted to take his goddaughter there for Christmas but I told him it was crazy expensive so we never went. I think he just saw the store in the mall but didn't know the specifics of it.

We got as far as the doll beauty salon. He saw the chairs and the dolls getting their hair done and asked if we could take the upper levels in stages.

We left but it was fun. The store will be celebrating the dolls birthdays soon and I'm planning to take our goddaughter for dinner or something- if I can convince myself to pay $40+ just because I want to go there and feel like I need to take a child to justify the excursion. I'll still take her even if we don't eat because they have free activities.

We went and checked out an open house and a duplex. When we went into the duplex the owner said " you're having a baby, oh boy." I smiled. As we were leaving, we checked out the room they had made into an office and he gave us a card about immunizations and vaccines. He told us it was just something he was interested in. We told him we had already been discussing not doing it. One night I was falling asleep and I instructed Mr A not to let them give the baby any eye drops and some other injection they give newborns, which has less risk when given orally. After they slap my baby and suck the fluid out, they need to hand TR over, I'm not in support of all that extra stuff.

We arrived at Mr. A's friends house and once his girlfriend arrived, we got in the car and headed to our distant destination.

When I walked in and informed some of the women how far along I was, they were like "wow, you are tiny." I've been thinking I'm pretty big. There were lots of kids there. There was another pregnant girl, she was 29 and 3 months pregnant. This is her 3rd child and her belly was as big as mine. I've read that you tend to be smaller with your first child because you maintain those stomach muscles.

At my mediation on Friday, my client kept telling me to feed my baby. Then she implied I wasn't eating and when the baby arrived he/she wouldn't be used to food. I told her I'd gained 16 lbs and the dr. said the baby and I were doing well. She even 'said eating for two is just a rumor.'

I think larger black women think if you aren't huge and pregnant something you are anorexic. Had they seen me before I was preggers they would know that I have put on weight.

Later in the evening I ended up alone with the 2 month old and it appeared to be waking up. I was a frightened. I called my mother and asked her what I was supposed to do. She asked me how I got left with the baby. I told her the others were watching the Wire or in the backyard playing dominoes. She said if she woke up and just laid there, to let it lay and if she cried, pick her up. I was relieved when her mother returned.

The baby was so small and she made me feel a little more confident that a baby could exit my body. Mr A is actually familiar with newborns and infants and my mother is coming to help, so I'm sure by the time the babe is a couple weeks I'll feel confident about having a baby.

The weekend was fun and we are heading to the park now because its a beautiful day. Garlic noodles are on the agenda for later this afternoon.

Blessings.

2 comments:

Serenity3-0 said...

I can't believe you called your mom to ask what to do with the baby... Pick her up! I can tell now, you are going to be an overprotective mommy.

AMES said...

You know old mamma's tend to be overprotective. I'm gonna work hard not to be that way.